ISMOS8, 8-11th June 2021
8th International Symposium on Applied Microbiology and Molecular Biology in Oil Systems
8 – 11 June 2021
ISMOS is the largest event discussing microbiology and molecular biology in the oil and gas industry. This conference explores the application of emerging microbial and molecular tools to help resolve challenges faced by the industry.
There is an increasing need by the oil industry and downstream related industries to monitor microbial communities in ‘real time’ in order to address specific issues such as oil field souring, microbiologically influenced corrosion (MIC) and biofouling. Molecular Microbiology Methods (MMM) can be applied to oil fields (and other oil-related industries) to analyze and quantify the in-situ microbial communities and their activities in response to changing environmental conditions. Such information will help oil companies to employ more directed, cost-effective strategies to prevent the major problems associated with deleterious microbial activities, as well as to encourage beneficial microbes.
ISMOS is multidisciplinary, linking chemists, geologists, engineers and molecular microbiologists, and will include a mixture of high profile speakers from both industry and academia. The symposia will present the major industrial problems caused by microbes, (e.g. souring, bio corrosion) as well as beneficial activities (e.g. MEOR, upgrading). The main focus of the meeting will be to understand how molecular and microbiological tools can be used to address these issues.
This conference is intended for professionals in the oil and gas industry and in academia who are interested in biological aspects and problems linked to exploration and production activities.
Who Should Attend?
The conference is aimed at people whose principle interest falls into any of the following categories:
- Industry Microbiology
- Corrosion Engineering
- Production Chemistry
- Integrity Management in oil, gas and fuel systems
- Geophysics and Geology
- Earth Science
- Environmental Science
- Bioinformatics and Metagenomics
- Deep Oilfield Microbiology
- Internal MIC in Oil and Gas Pipelines
- Biofuels and Downstream Petroleum Microbiology
- Hydrocarbon Biodegradation
- The oil and gas microbiome, Problems and Solutions
- A Green Future—becoming net zero
- Microbial control for low production times or shut in times
- Alternative fuels to oil and gas
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) of automatic labs
- Microbiologically Influenced Corrosion (MIC) and Reservoir Souring