NBIC Proof of Concept Call
NBIC is launching its third call for proposals for Proof of Concept (POC) projects from interested parties who have the experience and knowledge necessary to investigate and exploit areas in which biofilms play a central part. All projects proposed will be considered and ranked on their merits based on a number of criteria, with the intention that the selected projects will form a high quality portfolio of POC projects.
We are looking for proposals that are a joint collaboration between at least one company (micro, SME or large) or stakeholder with a UK presence and one (or more) UK university/research institution, which should be a part of the NBIC consortium. The project should be aimed at preventing, detecting, managing or engineering biofilms. In this Call, 30% of the funding will be reserved for Projects that address Biofilm Engineering. NBIC ran a joint Industry/Academic workshop on Biofilm Engineering in April 2019 (download Biofilm Engineering Report) and we want to encourage the ideas and relationships that emerged from that session as well as stimulate new interactions.
We expect to fund up to 25 projects, lasting on average 6 months, and for NBIC’s contribution to be on average £50K in total for each project.
Projects are expected to propose additional sources of matched funding either as in-kind and/or financial support that will enhance the quality of the bid and the outcomes anticipated.
Projects will be assessed on a number of key criteria:
- the quality of the collaboration and team;
- the quality of the science;
- the level of innovation;
- the potential for future application of the work and the impact of the next steps if successful;
- the credibility of the project plan and risk assessment & the clarity/feasibility of the work to be done;
- the demonstration of meaningful engagement with industry or other external stakeholders and their level of commitment (e.g. matched financial or in-kind contribution);
- alignment of project goals with NBIC strategy (Prevention, Detection, Management and Engineering of Biofilms).
Call Opens: January 10th 2020
Call Closes: 23:59 GMT March 6th 2020
Decisions and offer letters: w/c 8th June 2020.
Find out more and apply via the link below.