At National Biofilms Innovation Centre (NBIC), we’re committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This Policy explains when and why we collect personal information about people who visit our website, how we use it, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure. We may change this policy from time to time so please check this page occasionally to ensure that you’re happy with any changes. By using our website, you’re agreeing to be bound by this policy.
We are a ‘data’ controller. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we collect and use personal information about you, and for explaining this clearly to you.
‘Data’ refers to the information that we hold about you from which either on its own or in combination with other information you, can be identified and may include names, contact details, photographs, online identifiers and expressions of opinion about you or indications as to our intentions about you.
Any questions regarding this policy and our privacy practices should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to National Biofilms Innovation Centre, Building 85, Institute of Life Sciences, University Road, Southampton SO17 1BJ. Alternatively, you can telephone 02380 594729.
Data Protection Principles
We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
How do we collect information from you?
We obtain information about you when you use our website, for example, when you complete the contact form, when you complete the newsletter registration form or engage with other forms within our site.
What information does NBIC collect?
In connection with our research and innovation activities, the personal information we collect and store might include:
- The data you have provided, including your first and last name, email address, telephone number, company name, areas of industry and photographs
- Event attendance
- Details of interactions with between industry and academics
- Records of all contact we have with you
- Any other data you provide to us to support the progression of your research or developments.
How does NBIC use your personal data?
We may use your information to:
- Contact you regarding queries raised in the contact form;
- Carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into by you and us;
- Seek your views or comments on the services we provide;
- Notify you of changes to our services;
- Send you communications which you have requested and that may be of interest to you, which may include our monthly newsletter, information about campaigns, funding opportunities, events and workshops, partner searches and other activities relevant to the NBIC mission.
- Create a profile of your interests and preferences so that we can contact you with information relevant to you.
We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis. We are legally required to hold some types of information to fulfil our statutory obligations. We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with us.
Processing for limited purposes
We will only process your Data for the specific purpose or purposes that we tell you about, or if specifically permitted by the UK Data Protection Act 1998 or the Data Protection Act 2018 (depending 2 on which is in force at the relevant time), and will only process your data to the extent necessary for that specific purpose or purposes.
Accuracy of your information
The accuracy of your information is important to us. You have the right to request a copy of the information we hold about you so that you can ensure its accuracy and you can change your marketing preferences at any time by contacting us by email on email@example.com or telephone on 02380 594729.
You can also write to us at: National Biofilms Innovation Centre, Building 85, Institute of Life Sciences, University Road, Southampton SO17 1BJ.
How will your personal data be secured?
Once we receive your information, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems. Where we have given (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
We may pass your information to our third party service providers working on our behalf, agents’ subcontractors and other associated organisations for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you on our behalf (for example to process donations and send you mailings). However, when we use third party service providers, we disclose only the personal information that is necessary to deliver the service and we have a contract in place that requires them to keep your information secure and not to use it for their own direct marketing purposes.
Please be reassured that we will not release your information to third parties beyond the company for them to use for their own direct marketing purposes, unless you have requested us to do so, or we are required to do so by law, for example, by a court order or for the purposes of prevention of fraud or other crime.
Links to other websites
You have a choice about whether or not you wish to receive information from us. If you do not want to receive direct marketing communications from us about our services, then you can select your choices by ticking the relevant boxes situated on the form on which we collect your information.
We will not contact you for marketing purposes by email, phone or text message unless you have given your prior consent. We will not contact you for marketing purposes by post if you have indicated that you do not wish to be contacted.
Review of this policy
We keep this policy under regular review. This policy was last updated in May 2020.