Research Areas & Focuses
- Screen and extract natural anti-biofilm cyclotides
- Design and synthese anti-biofilm peptides
- Control and fabricate nanostruture on surface
- Explore new coupling technique for active agents on surface
- Modify and control quorum sensing molecules
- Tissue models for biofilm formation
- Engineer antibacterial autophagy
For enquiries, please contact Nicholas Forsyth.
- Imaging: confocal microscopy; SEM, TEM, AFM, fluorescence microscopy
- Conventional cell and bacterial culture facilities; gene, protein and cellular characterisation facilities
- Patient interface clean room
- Doppler OCT, microCT
- Laser imaging modalities
- A range of mechanical testing apparatus
- Biomaterials fabrication facilities (electrospinning, 3D printing, nanoparticle generator etc.),
- A variety of bioreactors for tissue culture
- A mass spectrometry and proteomics unit
- Histology and biomaterial suites, egg model and molecular biology laboratories
- Microarray, real-time PCR
- An Affymetrix workstation and microarray facility for whole-genome analysis and expression, high-throughput sequencing (ABI) and mutation analysis based on wave and pyrosequencing technologies
- Cell sorting and cell cycle (FACS) analysis facility with the latest Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS), two state-of-the art mass spectrometers, MALDI 4800 ToF and an ESI 3200-QTRA and transmission and scanning electron microscopy.
Olympus Fluoview FV 1200 with Fluoview software (4.1)
Extracted cyclotide from V. philippica (a); fraction P3 (b) showed good resistance of S. aureus based biofilm (c); self design antibiofilm peptide structure (d).